Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Fabric Review- JoAnn's

Fabric Store Review – JoAnns in Draper, Utah



Before you turn up your nose at this store, check out my finds: a chocolate brown wool crepe on the closeout table for $7/yd. I bought all 4+ yards of it for a pants suit. A fuchsia/plum silk shantung as an underlining for a fuchsia/plus tweed jacket. Silk is perfect for lining fabric. With my JoAnns app coupon on my iPhone, the effective price was $10/yd.  A linen printed with butterflies for a summer shirt.
Admittedly, I don’t find these bargains often, but I’m thrilled when I do. I’m a regular at JoAnns for notions: zippers, thread, interfacings, pins, buttons, and all the trimmings. It only takes a couple minutes to cruise the markdown table for a “find.”.
And, the sales clerks often will give me a cardboard roll on which to roll and store my silks. Don’t store them folded. It encourages the fabric to split and the threads to separate.


Quality: 3 stars. They carry lots of polyesters, fleece, and quilting cottons, so you won’t often find high-quality fabrics. But they do carry them.


Service: 2 star. Don’t count on getting sewing advice here. The sales clerks know how to measure yardage and stock shelves. If there’ a long line at the cutting table, get your ticket and number before you head for the fabrics. You’ll save time standing in line.


Online: They have an online store, but I’ve never used it.

No comments:

Post a Comment